The Max Planck Society is Germany's premier research organization. The currently 86 Max Planck Institutes and facilities conduct basic research in the service of the general public in the natural sciences, life sciences, social sciences and the humanities.
The Max Planck Institute for the Structure and Dynamics of Matter (MPSD) is a research institute of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science e.V., which currently employs about 150 people.
The scientists of the MPSD investigate the structure and properties of matter down to its atomic and electronic motions, on the ultrashort timescales of femtoseconds and attoseconds.
The institute is located on the research campus Hamburg-Bahrenfeld and is a partner in the Center for Free-Electron Laser Science (CFEL), together with DESY and the University of Hamburg.
We are looking for an
Office Manager (f/m/d)
for the department "Condensed Matter Dynamics" in a Full-time position.
Your tasks include:
Interface for the director´s concerns in organizational and administrative matters
- Travel management for director and staff (Coordination, planning and organization of business trips, workshops and conferences)
- Management of schedules
- Guest management (travel, accommodation, planning and organization of talks, travel statements of the guests)
- Onboarding / offboarding of employees in collaboration with HR department
- Compose and/or type routine correspondence, memos, reports, presentations etc. in German and English
- Proofreading and editing of letters and texts (correspondence, recommendation letters, evaluations letters, nominations etc)
- Support in submittung nomination propsals for various prizes and fellowship programs
- Translation of letters, reports and other documents (German/English)
- Space/room management (events, offices)
- Provide needed administrative support, which may also include database maintenance, assisting in grant or contract proposals, etc.
- File, maintain records and perform other such clerical duties
- Event management (talks, workshops and conferences)
- Provide backup coverage for other administrative staff in clerical tasks such as answering telephone, distributing mail, reserving conference rooms etc.
- Assistance with special projects as needed
- Work closely with the administration of the institute in all administrative procedures
Your backround and skills:
You have a successfully completed vocational training and/or a or certified foreign language secretary or comparable training. Ideally, you already have experience as an administrator in an international academic environment.
Your profile should meet the following requirements:
Excellent command of the English language spoken and written are an essential requirement, additional language skills in Italian or French would be an advantage
- Computer proficiency is required (Outlook, Word, Power Point and Excel)
- Effective organizational skills and flexibility in a fast paced environment
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-up in a timely manner
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities while maintaining a positive demeanor
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive data
- Exceptional intercultural skills
- a longer stay abroad in English-speaking countries would be an advantage
The successful applicant will be able to work independently and responsibly as well as enjoy working in a team.
We also expect a high level of professionalism with strong interpersonal skills, good judgment, diplomacy and the ability to work well under pressure.
We offer a position according to the German public pay scale (TVöD). This position is currently on a two-year contract basis; a long-term perspective is possible.
The Max Planck Society strives for gender equality and diversity. We welcome applications from all background. The Max-Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals.
Please note: Applications for this job are only accepted via our online application portal.
If you are interested in this position please send your detailed application documents in English and German along with the earliest possible starting date. The screening of applications and interviews will start from December 07th 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
Detailed information about the application can be found at: http://www.mpsd.mpg.de/job-offers-en